Regulations Amending the Canada Education Savings Regulations (Miscellaneous Program): SOR/2022-112
Canada Gazette, Part II, Volume 156, Number 12
SOR/2022-112 May 20, 2022
CANADA EDUCATION SAVINGS ACT
P.C. 2022-530 May 19, 2022
Her Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Employment and Social Development, pursuant to section 13footnote a of the Canada Education Savings Act footnote b, makes the annexed Regulations Amending the Canada Education Savings Regulations (Miscellaneous Program).
Regulations Amending the Canada Education Savings Regulations (Miscellaneous Program)
1 Paragraph 10(2)(b) of the French version of the Canada Education Savings Regulations footnote 1 is replaced by the following:
- (b) l’excédent de 7 200 $ sur l’ensemble des montants calculés conformément au présent paragraphe au titre de PAE déjà versés par le promoteur au bénéficiaire.
2 The French version of the Regulations is amended by replacing “considérée”, “considérées” and “considérés” with “réputée”, “réputées” and “réputés”, respectively, in the following provisions:
- (a) subsection 16(2);
- (b) the portion of subsection 16(3) before paragraph (a); and
- (c) subsections 16(4) and (5).
Coming into Force
3 These Regulations come into force on the day on which they are registered.
REGULATORY IMPACT ANALYSIS STATEMENT
(This statement is not part of the Regulations.)
On April 15, 2019, the Standing Joint Committee for the Scrutiny of Regulations identified a number of technical issues with the Canada Education Savings Regulations (CESR or the Regulations) and recommended amending these Regulations to address these issues.
The amendments have the following objectives:
- to correct a discrepancy between the French and English versions of the CESR; and
- to harmonize terms used in the regulations.
Description and rationale
The amendments to the CESR will
- correct a language discrepancy between the English and French versions of the Regulations;
- specifically remove the term “éventuel” from paragraph 10(2)(b) of the French version, related to the calculation of the apportionment of the Educational Assistance Payment; and
- harmonize the terms used in subsections 16(2), 16(3), 16(4) and 16(5) with the ones used in subsection 17(3), by replacing all instances of “considérée,” “considérées” and “considérés” with “réputée,” “réputées” and “réputés,” respectively.
The correction of inaccuracies in the CESR will ensure consistency between English and French versions and will maintain uniform terminology throughout the French CESR.
One-for-one rule and small business lens
The one-for-one rule and small business lens do not apply to these amendments, as there is no change in administrative costs or burden to business.
Canada Education Savings Program
Employment and Social Development Canada
140 Promenade du Portage, Phase IV, Mailstop: Bag 4